Kudos to the Indian Armed Forces!

I haven't been able to work out why the Google ads space at the top of my Gmail mailbox page flashed that particular “Sponsored Link”. And I have absolutely no idea why I glanced at it at that particular moment when it flashed the link. I am used to it flashing absolutely irrelevant ads and I hardly even notice that space. But having seen it, I couldn't help but click on it. Ok before you get impatient with me, the link was “LK Advani's Official Blog -blog.lkadvani.in”. Well, I am not an Advani fan, but given all the attention devoted to “internet campaigning” this time around, I was curious to take a look. I should acknowledge I did find a few merits in it. One particular article on the Navin Chawla-CEC issue had a quote from the late Ms Benazir Bhutto. In answer to a query from the Mr Advani on why India's democracy was a success and Pakistan's had proved to be failure, Ms Bhutto is quoted as having answered,

“I attribute your country’s success to two factors: firstly, your Army is apolitical; and secondly, your Election Commission is constitutionally independent of the Executive.”
While Mr Advani, obviously focussed his article on the second factor Ms Bhutto outlined, mine is about the first.


The complaint that we do not give enough credit to our armed forces who secure our borders, coast and air is oftened voiced. True enough, but it doesn't start to scrap the tip of the iceberg. We owe gratitude to the armed forces and their leadership not just for their dedicated service in safeguarding us and our national interests, but also, in no less measure, to the dignity with which they conduct themselves and the respect they hold for the democracy of the nation and our constitution.


The armed forces remain isolated from the mainstream public for the most part. But they hold dear the fact that they are part of the Indian brotherhood and that they are part of a democracy. This value imbibed in their mindset is crucial. The stellar leadership of the armed forces deserve no less appreciation. Given the rigid command structure and highly disciplined nature of the Defense forces, the High Command exercises extensive and comprehensive control over huge numbers of battle-ready men and women. Maturity and values of the Defense leadership is not a factor to be discounted.


We have heard numerous laments on the pathetic nature of our Legislature and Executive. But we should definitely be thankful for the fact that we have a functioning Legislature and Executive at both the state and national level, however pathetic it might be. Ms Bhutto got it perfectly on target. We need only to take a look at our neighbours to see what damage an armed force with no respect for democracy can inflict on the nation. Kudos to the Indian armed forces for their dignified conduct!!


PS : Let us our bit by atleast voting. On our Election Commission, coming soon! :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to know what you think :)